I finished the first border for Mountmellick!  I am so happy, it feels so good to be back into my quilting life after such a long time in making easy things.

Just had to share. I will still needle turn applique the corners down and finish the 4 hexagon flowers in the corners.

On to Border Number Two.  Have a great evening.

Mountmellick Medallion

I have had so many issues with a couple of Australian patterns that I was beginning to become gun-shy in starting another project.  Di Ford is a well-respected Designer and I had hoped to have no issues with Mountmellick.  This time in making a complex quilt I am keeping the past lessons I have learned from past ‘mistakes’ from the Designer, and that I need to go slow, read and re-check the pattern each step of the way.  So far so good and even though it is slow, I do believe that this will be a very successful project.

This morning I am ready to put the first border on the center medallion.  I always make the background fabric 2 inches larger than the pattern requires, mainly to ensure that I will be able to square the block, or medallion without issues!  If the medallion is not perfectly squared the remainder of the quilt will be a total disaster!

Before I did anything, I placed a padding of muslin on the ironing board and placed the appliquéd medallion face down, sprayed it with Sizing and PRESSED not iron!  I did this step to make sure the fabric would not flare (had this problem before!)

I started with a 20 1/2″ square did the math to ensure that when reducing the medallion to 18 1/2″ it would be perfect!  I started by bringing my medallion down to a 19″ square.  I have a 20 1/2″ Creative Grid ruler that really helps in accomplishing this step.  Before I cut, I marked the background as to where I would cut and checking all sides to ensure equality on each side!  Then I measured an additional 1/4″ on each side of the medallion inside the 19″ marking.  BUT I did this by marking the medallion 1/8″ all around, checking to make sure it would be square, cutting it to 18 3/4″ and THEN measuring another 1/8″ to bring it to 18 1/2″ square.  During this process I kept measuring from corner to corner to make sure all things were remaining square!

After all of this I took the 18 1/2″ square and did a stay stitch on my newly cleaned Designer I to ensure that when sewing the first border there will not be an issue with flaring.  (been there done that one before without a stay stitch).  Here is a picture of the finished perfectly squared 18 1/2″ Center Medallion!


So now to adding the first border.  I want to thank Lu Ann Krug for sending me the border fabric for this quilt.  It was a piece that she had left over from when she made the quilt.  I met up with Lu Ann through her Blog in 2014 just as I was beginning to start on this quilt when my step son was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer.  Here it is 3 years later and I am FINALLY back to a “sameness of routine” as my friend Gretchen stated in her morning post!  This last year I discovered Gretchen and what a surprise to find out that Lu Ann and Gretchen are friends and live in what I call “Quilter’s Heaven” because of their love of quilting!  How I would love to live closer and attend the Retreats with them!  Both ladies are great and dedicated quilters.

Well, off to put the first border on….. more to follow!


One Monthly Goal (OMG) – October

My goals for October were to get back to quilting after the hand surgeries.  My projects were Mountmellick, Sweet Stitches, Finish my RSC 2017 quilt top, and quilt my Hearts Quilt.

I have the center Medallion almost completed for Mountmellick.   Yesterday I prepared the 1/2″ hexagons for the hexagon flowers for each corner.  I had planned on making this quilt in 2014 – just a little delay here and there.

Sweet Stitches by Kathy Schmitz was a BOM that I believe I ordered in 2014 and now finishing Blocks 2, 3 and 4. I will be working on a few more blocks in November.

Mr Snowman – January

March Winds Blowing

Mr Easter Bunny – April Block

I made tons of 4 patches when I could during the summer months of recuperating and made a push this month to complete the quilt.  There are issues with the top, but it was a way for me to keep my sanity!  Hubby likes it so he will have another lap quilt (ok large lap quilt).  I am thinking that this top will be loaded and quilted in November.

Last Friday I did a marathon quilting day and finished my Heart Quilt which I had loaded in my long arm in May and could not finish it until now.  I started my quilting journey in early 2000 and in 2003 this was my first appliqué quilt.  I had to laugh at the stitches and I really thought I was doing so well.  It is good to always keep those beginning quilts to watch your progress in quilting.  I will bind the quilt in November.

Heart Quilt

It always feels good to set a goal and be able to complete them.  It has been a long 5 months but I am back to my passion of quilting.  Have a great day.