I love to share my Quilting projects with other Quilters. My goal is to share my progress on projects that I am working on. I would love for you to follow along with me during my endeavors. I hope you enjoy watching me tackle new techniques and projects. Hopefully you can learn from my "hiccups" and mistakes and make your journey easier.
Another week has gone by and the rain is still happening. We are really being blessed. But alas, it will come to an end this week and watch out for the 100’s with high humidity for the summer months. It would be great if we have rain breaks throughout the summer because by August it will be a scorcher and dry!
May is getting close to a memory in my life. The months are flying by and slowly but surely we are getting our lives back in order and enjoying getting things done! Always feels good to have accomplished something each day!
One of the fat quarters has large flowers and leaves (in fact there are quite a few in three different color ways) and decided to fussy cut the 3 1/2″ squares on the corners and in the 4 patch. Most of the time I have a difficult time in deciding how to use the large florals that come with the fat quarter bundles so I tend to use them by fussy cutting them in quilts. Time will tell if I have chosen the right fabric for this project! I found the free pattern for Eliza’s Indigo 1810-1830 from Moda on the above link and will make good use of the remaining fat quarters and half yards that I have left over.
The 12″ blocks are a nice break from the smaller blocks that I usually work with. Thank you Melva for all the hard work you do for us. Check out here post to see the progress of those who are joining in on the Trail to Santa Fe!
Have a great day and continue prayers for Kathy and Chris and all those who are having difficult times in their lives.
Good morning to all. I hope that your New Year is going well and that projects are coming along as you have planned. I was going to try to Blog each Friday – but oops, missed that goal! It is good ole’ Cedar Season here in South Texas and I wish they Cedar trees would just go away, but not that lucky! I am scheduled to be checked for Asthma on the 25th as the inhaler really has made me feel a lot better and more energy. If that is what has taken some of my stamina away the last 2 years it will be a blessing to find out and correct the problem!
I am happy with my progress on E. Sitar’s Basket of Flowers. I have completed 350- 2″ four patches (think about 50 too many but gives me more selection when making the baskets)! They are easy and fun to make. Sometimes mindless sewing is good for the brain to relax and no pressure. The pattern directions state to cut the strips at 1 1/4″ x 21″ but I always add 1/8″ or 1/16″ to the width when cutting in order to have some extra fabric to square my blocks and the shorter strips keep the strip sets even and less waste. Each 21′ strip makes 8 Four Patches.
Next step is to cut the strip sets in the same width (1 3/8″ or add a 1/16″). I am keeping the four patches in individual bags (plastic snack bags) for 2 reasons – control clutter on my cutting table and allow me to work on other projects. Since I tend to work with “controlled” scrappy projects it also makes it easier to work with the selection of colors for each basket. I “accidentally” purchased the bags and thought I would take them back, but then realized I could use them for small projects like this one.
I wanted to see how my colors would look for the baskets – not sure how the “scrappy” will take shape, but here is a sample. (without the pedistal).
I finished the 2nd Christmas place mat. Hopefully I will be able to finish the preparation work for the Table Runner. It is a quick needleturn applique project. Heck – should be able to have this one completed by Thanksgiving if I work faster (LOL).
I have one diamond block completed for E. Sitar’s Flower Garden and the remaining 5 cut out and ready to sew to the hexagon paper pieces. There are a total of 6 diamonds for the quilt center of the quilt. I am using Betty Cutchian’s Eliza’s Indigo. I ordered a few fat quarters and then ordered the “bundle” This has worked out great because I can use the same fabric but different colors for the hexagon stars.
A note on the Farmer’s Wife 1930 Sampler. Laurie Hird contacted me this week and advised that there are 4 more corrections coming from her publisher. They are for the diagrams only. I am glad that I brought the issue to her attention because she was unaware that a problem existed. She is working on her third book and is appreciative that I advised her about the problem and is instituting safeguards that this will not happen to her again. It must be so frustrating to send one’s work to a publisher only to have them make mistakes when publishing the book. I admire Laurie for checking into the issue for me – I am beginning to feel now that I may just work on this project later in the year.
Today will be trimming the remaining Four patches and hopefully cutting out the pedestals. I would also like to finish up preparing the Xmas table runner and bring out Segment 3 of Stonefields. Have a great sewing day. Enjoy Life.