Pre winter has arrived in South Texas. 40’s the last couple of days with nice heavy sprinkles and more on the way. It would not bother me is the weather stayed this way for 6 months. I am enjoying walking in cooler weather also. I took today off just because I wanted to – how about that for just doing what I wanted to do! LOL!
This has been a very quiet week for both of us. We had made reservations for Rockport, Texas, but then we found out that the lovely Flu season is flaring up in the area, along with San Antonio area towns. So that trip has been cancelled, since last December we came home from Rockport with a horrible case of Bronchitis or the Flu – whichever it was not COVID. It took me over a month to get back on my feet and Clay had to sleep in the recliner for 2 weeks until they gave him some great cough medication to help. We decided it would not be worth the trip to get sick again.
I have finished my 2nd cross stitch project – Boo’s and Bat’s. I changed the border on the pattern and am very pleased with the outcome. I now have a quilt that matches my cross stitch project! Clay ordered a 10” frame for me today!
Now to move on to the Binding Story! In 2014 I sent 7 quilts to a Longarm Quilter that I had known for a few years. All I will say is that it did not work well for me. End of that part of the story. I made a stupid decision to let her sew the binding on my quilts using her long arm!!! I did not do any research on this technique and I have really paid for being so dumb thinking that it would work.
A few years back I started doing the handwork on one of the quilts only to find out that because I cut a 2” strip for my bindings and the fact that she sewed a 1/4” when attaching the binding, I had a serious problem. Bottom line – I left 4 of the quilts in the closet for 8 years!
So this was the week for me to correct the problem on all 4 quilts. The quilts were all King Size quilts and very hard to manage. and very heavy! The first step was to rip the existing binding off 3 of the quilts. I had not let her sew the binding on it the 4th one! Whew! As I was sewing the new binding onto the first one, I realized that the quilt was not squared after it was quilted. So each quilt had to be checked and trimmed before continuing on with making new binding for all 4 quilts. In total, I made close to 1800 inches of binding for all four quilts.
This afternoon I finished the last quilt and now I have plenty of hand work to do, which should keep me from becoming bored for at least a month! I have learned another lesson – the hard way.
Tomorrow I will designate it as a day to just enjoy my quilting room and prepare a practice quilt (muslin top and bottom) and load it on my long arm. It feels so good to have achieved my goal. I hope to have them all completed by the end of December, or sooner, as Rebecca will be sending me more either in late December of first of January. Believe you me, I am in no hurry for anymore quilts to make binding for! BREAK TIME!
Have a great week and enjoy quilting, or whatever you love to do.
© Nanette Chopin Cook at Doitrightquilter.com 2022. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Nanette Chopin Cook and Doitrightquilter.com with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.
Linking To: My Quilt Infatuation; Confessions of a Fabric Addict; Finished or Not Friday ; Em’s Scrap Bag; BOM’s Away; Sew Fresh Quilts; Crazy Mom Quilts; Oh Scrap; Scrap Happy Saturday; Slow Sunday Stitching Quilt Fabrication Mid Week Makers; Peacock Party; Design Wall Monday, Scrap Happy Days, Quilting Patch Linky Party, To Do Tuesdays