It is a beautiful week-end here in South Texas, heading into a hot humid summer! I have re-hired my housekeeper and she will come 2 times a month. I believe things have worked out with her and she is an excellent cleaner. I am relieved about this! My energy level is doing well, but I see another Radio Frequency treatment for my back coming in late May or early June as I think the stupid nerves are coming alive again. So much easier to do this than going through back surgery at my age! YEA!
We see a day trip to Rockport, Texas soon to check out the re-building after the hurricane last year. If all is going well, we will be scheduling a week at the coast and I am so ready for this. The Inn at the Fulton Harbor is open now and they have a lovely cottage that we want to stay in and enjoy the fresh air and sit by the water and relax! More on that one later! It is times like this that I miss our 36′ Fifth Wheel, but it was time to let it go in late December 2016.
I did my Heart for today and have finished preparing the remaining hearts for applique! Now it is just spending the 20 minutes or so to applique one each morning.
Now to the procrastination part of this Post. I had always thought that the Mountmellick quilt would be a difficult quilt to make and kept putting things off! I have now realized that it is NOT a difficult quilt to make – it is just so much repetition of circles and flowers, leaves, etc. I can easily become bored doing the same thing over and over and taking so long to complete a border. So having realized this, I am now thinking that when I finish this border which has 28 each 3 1/2″ hexagon flowers and 58 very small leaves, that I will be done and it will become a Mini-Mountmellick. The last border will be the fabric that Di Ford used on her quilt and since I purchased too much of the fabric, there will be enough left over for the backing! By making this decision I will no longer slow myself down on other projects! I am SO ready to move on and out of this procrastination phase of MM!
Here is what I have been working on and it has been like pulling teeth! SLOW! Each hexagon was fussy cut and that takes so much time! The one thing that will speed this project up is to know that I am on the last border that has a lot of hand work to do. No more procrastination on Mini-Mountmellick! There are a total of 196 – 1/2″ hexagons to make the 28 flowers – including the center which are the black hexagons. I have one completed, and 5 ready to complete! Long way to go on this baby!
Then there are the leaves – nice 1 1/2″ leaves! This was just so much fun to do! I do not know what I would do without Jenkins pre-cut freezer paper. It saved me so much time. There are 60 leaves and to trace enough of them would have taken forever!
My next project will be a pieced quilt top as the only piecing project currently on the UFO list is to make 15 large Dresden Plates for the Mini-Dresden 1930 quilt top! After making them, I then will have to applique the 105 mini Dresden’s and the 15 large Dresden’s to background fabrics and put the quilt together! I will probably do this one in a grid also. To me it is easier than appliqueing to a 5 or 6 inch square. This will be done later during the Summer.
I wonder sometimes just how many quilters experience ‘quilt burn out‘, procrastination of a project, etc because it becomes boring or we just want to move on. I guess this is why we all end up with UFO’s. Gretchen gave me some good ideas to divert my attention to something that will spark my interest when this happens. Read a book, clean up the sewing room, knit a dish cloth, sit in the sun, and go through all the books I have purchased without taking the time to read them. I will be taking these suggestions at heart and try to get over any quilt burnout or procrastination on a UFO.
I have 2 quilts in my mind that I want to make next and so it is decision time again. Think I will make the Dresden Plates while deciding!
Have a great week-end!