Mountmellick is a beautiful design but takes time to make each part of this 2014 Mystery Quilt. I have now finished the Medallion and Borders 2 and 3!
The directions called for the quilter to make a grid of 2” squares and then applique a circle on the 48 squares. I followed the directions, but after appliquéing all 48 circles on 2” squares, I realized that the 2” square drawn needed to be 1 7/8” in order to yield a 1 3/8”. When making a ‘test’ block, it appeared to be fine with the cutting instructions of the HSTs. BUT, I had to square each 2” block down to 1 7/8”!!!!! That was just too much fun.
During the process of sewing the border strips together, on the 2nd set, I found 4 of the circles that had to be removed and re-appliqued because they were not centered.
It was at that time that I realized that I would have saved a LOT of time by putting the borders together and THEN sew the circles. So anyone thinking of making this quilt should consider doing this.
I was hoping to finish this portion of the quilt by this last week-end but I had to take a break from the project. It is intense and does not allow for any mistakes.
When selecting fabrics for my quilt I followed the Medallion very closely and used Dutch Chintz fabric and will continue using the fabric on the next border. For Border 3, I studied the picture of the quilt very carefully for color placement of the circles. Di Ford used 6 different colors for the circles and I used 3 different shades of reds and 3 shades of blues. But on the HSTs she added a variety of fabrics to effect a scrappy look.
Because I am not a big fan of ‘scrappy’ quilt I used a black background from Pam Buda’s Conestoga Crossings fabric line which has tan, black and red in it. The fabric used in Border 1 has black in it so I framed the Medallion in black to showcase that color.
It is a good feeling to have achieved success with this quilt! I will have my RF treatment on my back tomorrow, so the next 3 days will be hand work only while resting!
Have a great week and enjoy stitching!