We all have our UFO drawer that holds projects that are unfinished and always hope to finish them. Then there are UFR’s (Unforeseen Requirements). The biggest difference between them is we can control UFO’s, but NEVER control UFR’s. In case anyone missed me, I have been on a forced vacation with UFR’s for the last 2 weeks. I prefer to drown in UFO’s. I am down to 2 UFR’s for the month of May and the rest of my time is for UFO’s. I just love acronyms how can we do with out them? My UFR’s are just about finished for May and now I am going to see if I can get back in the swing of quilting on my projects.
About 2 weeks ago, I wanted to take a break from all the fun I had with Robin’s Nest so I looked for appliqué projects that had gathered a lot of dust. This is one from 2010 (I think).
Here is what is remaining to be appliquéd. For this project I am doing back basting appliqué because of the large pieces! (what a mess I have in this stack of UFOs) Back Basting appliqué uses a technique that is different from traditional needle turn appliqué. The pattern is traced on the wrong side of the fabric and pieces of fabric are cut and placed on the right side of the fabric, and then using the pattern on the wrong side of the fabric to baste the fabric pieces. If interested in the technique check out How To Back Baste Applique . The only thing I do different in the tutorial is to take a white appliqué pencil for dark fabrics, or a pencil for the light fabrics and mark over the basting stitches before I start appliquéing. By doing that I have a line to follow while needle turning.
While looking for the finished blocks of my Jacobean project, I ran across the following blocks from a 2007 BOM from Sierra Vista Arizona Quilt Guild. Some of the blocks will need some embroidery work, but they are mostly finished. Different Guild members provided the block for each month. I located the remaining blocks from this project and some from a 2008 BOM. I plan on finishing this project too (SOMETIME). During my search for the patterns I was surprised to find 5 blocks that I had designed! So much to do, so little time.
I made this block a couple of months back to see if I wanted to make a quilt with the block pattern. As you can see I decided against that and made a pillow cover for a pillow to use when I am doing hand appliqué. The pillow lifts my work so I do not have to strain my eyes. My other pillow decided it was time to head for the trash can!
This morning I thought I was on the way to finishing Nesting Block 2, until I realized that I do not like the “grapes” outlined with embroidery thread!!! YUP you guessed it – ripping time. Of course the black thread will leave residue black circles, so now I will get some circles ready (think blue) to cover the marks up. I was trying to take a short cut and not have to do those tiny tiny circles! The bird’s beaks and eyes will be done when I finish the circle and then I will post the finished (at last) block 2. Lesson learned – always recheck the pattern picture!!!!
I am hoping to get this block finished by tomorrow (LOL) what a dreamer I am! Have a great Sunday and a great week – enjoy your stitching! We are hoping that the rain really does happen today – so dry!