Today is day 5 of May 2017!!! Can you believe it? It seems like the months fly by after May and June and before we know it – it’s Christmas! I hope this month goes by slower. Today is a great day – feeling like my old self! Did my stretches, walked, vacuumed the house, and made it out to the Studio by 10:45 to work on 2 post that were not finished Monday.
I have left Robin’s Nest for a few days (how about 5 days) to work on some applique and Brinton Hall. I am still wanting to work on some embroidery and knitting (someday). Now that I have RN started and know there may be pitfalls, I have had a nice break from it and will start sewing the 2nd ring tomorrow for sure.
I am working on a quilt called Nesting for the SA Show in September – BUT if I cannot get it completed it will be next year’s quilt to show. I have completed Block 1 and started on Block 2 – there are only 4 large blocks and a beautiful border.
Here is Block 1. It is an easy quilt to applique so I should be able to finish this by July.
When I appliqué, embroidery or sew my bindings and sleeves, I take small stitches – like 1/8″. Here is a picture of the back of this block. And of course I am a traditional needle-turn appliquér – no glue or starch. I cut about a 5/8″ of bias strips for the vines and sew one side down, trim and sew the other side – these are less than 1/4″ stems. I always trace the pattern on my background fabric with a pencil (lightly) so it makes it easy to follow a line when doing stems.
I finished the top and bottom hexagons on Briton Hall this afternoon (finally!). Next week I want to start working on the 4 left and right hexagon sections (probably more slowly). This hand work is definitely hard on the ole’ hands so I will take a day when I want to just sit and sew a section at a time. Maybe by the end of May I will be ready to start making the rest of the quilt – which MIGHT be easier! I love Batiks the colors really pop don’t they?
Each section will have to be laid out very carefully and sewn together even more carefully. I made a few mistakes and had to rip a couple of times and I do not like that because of the small stitches that I do.
I am going to load a quilt that I made in the 2003-2004 timeframe first thing in the morning! It was one of the first appliqué quilts I made. I used all different Christmas fabrics in it and thought it looked horrible. I was looking at some of the hearts and I had fussy cut some Santa’s for the hearts! Heck I did a scrappy quilt without even knowing what I was doing! Too funny.
Goals for May are to get the Christmas quilt finished, work on Nesting, Robin’s Nest and Brinton Hall. Only 26 days left! Have a great week-end!