Our internet service has had issues the last month or so and the service finally went belly up for good last Saturday. I enjoyed the quietness and think I did progress in quilting…. Hum! Today the technician came out to fix last week’s technician and customer services boo boo’s. So now back on-line and in the fold again!
I started Robin’s Nest this week-end. I have studied this pattern for 2 years and it has been on my 2017 Goals for 4 months now. This is a fairly complex quilt and not as complex as Ms Billings and Phebe, and others, but it is a striking quilt. Templates are provided, but when one is making 3 1/2″ UF stars, using small templates and a rotary cutter is not for me.
I made one block using the templates and was not pleased. So I decided to reverse engineer the templates and convert to rotary cutting. I made 3 other test star blocks to ensure my rotary cutting measurements were accurate. The 4th one appeared to be perfect (until I looked at the picture I took) and realized that one point was off. So back to the drawing board on size of the strips. The hexagon is 1 inch, so you can see how small the pieces are in making this star block. Notice the bottom two points – Amazing how we do not see our little mistakes until we take a picture! I have had problems with flying geese before, but now I know the secret in getting them perfect!
Here are the measurements for a 3 1/2″ star block using rotary cutting and no templates!
There are 17 pieces in each star.
- Cut 4 each 1 1/4″ squares for the corner from a 1 1/4″ strip from the light fabric.
- 1 each 2″ square for the Center from a 2″ dark fabric strip.
- 4 each 1 3/4″ squares cut once diagonally for the Star Points from a dark 1 3/4″ strip
- 2 each 2″ squares cut diagonally for the Flying Geese background fabric (light)
When I sew the Flying Geese I use a scant 1/4″ seam allowance, then I go back to the full 1/4″ seam allowance to put the rest of the Star Block together. It comes out perfect. I am using 50wt Aurifil thread and a Husqvarna Designer I. (this is important because all machines are different)
I cut the center hexagon out using freezer paper (I do cheat on this – I purchase the pre-cut Jenkins freezer paper and print the pattern out – it saves me a lot of time). The leaves, or whatever they are, will be hand appliquéd in either blue or black fabric. I have 2 more stars for this portion to be completed and then I will cut out more triangles in black that will be the next “border”. I am using the template for the triangles to connect all the stars.
Next will be 12 more Star Blocks and they will be in Blue. I am using a mixture of Barbara Brackman’s Union Blues, Richmond Reds, and Pam Buda’s Cassandra Crossings. I will probably be using more from other reproduction fabric lines as I work on each border in the quilt.
I have not loaded the Grace frame as of today, but maybe tomorrow or this afternoon. Things appear to now be settling down and I will have more time to quilt.
We have a “cookie” sheet bird feeder. Hubby took a picture of the Doves feeding – it is so much fun watching the birds and the deer feeding while I am sewing! The cat next door sits on the ground just wishing for one of the birds to drop off the feeding tray for a good snack! LOL
Have a great day and Happiness is peace and quiet and sometimes boredom! (well only today!)