I posted sometime in the past about my experience with Circa 2016 and how I had enough hair pulling with the quilt. But, as a normal Type A, I just could not let it go….. So Tuesday I decided to try again to make the quilt. Yesterday I finished the Medallion and thought that I would go forward, but this morning I sat in my chair drinking my morning cup of coffee and studied the finished Medallion and decided that the outside border was just too pale to continue on with the same fabric. The longer I looked at it the more I remembered all the issues I had encountered and quickly decided I had worked on this puppy enough and I should be happy that the 3rd try yielded a perfect medallion!!!! But, look closely at it because it now looks so drab with the same background fabric and it will soon disappear!
I made the decision to stop at this point and make a small quilt. Then I immediately sent Carole S. an email advising her that she would be receiving a belated Christmas gift of the remaining blocks that I had made last year along with a few other goodies that she might or might not like! Carole was the only one who wanted the blocks in case I decided to not finish the quilt. In other words – Circa 2016 and I are F-I-N-I-S-H-E-D! So below is a picture of a nice little quilt that will make a great sewing machine cover. This quilt is perfectly squared!
In remaking the Medallion, here are some things that I did to make sure that it would turn out – they are little things, but I guess when I was not feeling good I might have become a little sloppy. Goal for 2017 – NO MORE SLOPPY WORK! It only frustrates me and bothers no one else!!!!
- Chose a fabric that would not stretch as bad on the bias (the medallion is on the bias)
- As I sewed each row, each section was checked for accuracy (finished 2 1/4″). Used an accurate 1/4″ seam allowance and pressed all seams open.
- The medallion before the first “small” border was to be 13″ – I made it 3 times and it always came out at 13 1/8″ and on corner was always off slightly!
- On the first border I cut a 2″ strip and then sewed 6 of the hour glass blocks to make sure they measured 14″. They did, so I then started reducing the first border by 1/8″ all around the border until it measured at 14″. This way the center was in the center and not off center!
At least I know that I can make the Medallion and it came out square to 21 1/2″ unfinished! Another YEA! Have a great day and I will now move on to my 2017 list. So many of the Bloggers are listing their projects for the new year. Some of mine are on-going and I am so behind, so maybe I will be more inspired to ‘get ‘um done’ soon! I will make a list, check it twice, and post it next time.
Until then, have a wonderful sewing week!