OK – one sentence on the weather – The weather has not changed for the good it is now 100 degrees and heat index running from 105 to 109 and this ole’ lady has finally thrown in the towel as far as walking goes for this week. Now on to quilting!
I have (again) caught up with Circa 2016 blocks from the 29 July and 5 August! YEA.
I really do enjoy making the 3 1/2″ blocks. They go fast and are always a challenge because of the size. To me this is a “practice” session preparing me for some of the quilts that are waiting in line for me to make.
This summer the Margaret Potts group from BAS have 3 blocks to work on. I have finished 2 Blocks and working on the 3rd. The last block has 4 stars and I am using the EPP method to make them so they will be “perfect” (Ha Ha). The pieces are so small so I had to set it aside and complete the other blocks. I took one look at the circles and thought – OH NO! So tiny – no bigger than a dime!!! But I started on the block and begin to enjoy the process. The stems are embroidered with 2 strains of variegated thread.
I thought I would share with all on how I do my circles. I have 2 sets of Karen Kay Buckley mylar circles, but the time it takes to cut the fabric, baste around the circle, and then spray with sizing and iron, that I decided to take a different approach when making circles for my applique projects. I use C. Jenkins Freezer Paper Sheets Here from Amazon. The paper is 8 1/2 x 11 and the pattern prints out great onto the freezer paper. It is a little expensive, but the time saved is worth it. I copy the pattern onto the paper and then cut out the pieces. On larger patterns I have to be a little more creative, but for this project it is great as the blocks fit on the paper size just fine. I am sure one could cut regular freezer paper and feed it through the printer, but then that takes time to do that. (Maybe I am spoiled or getting lazy in my old age! LOL). I still use Karen Kay Buckley circles, but only to trace around the template like I do with the freezer paper. Here is how I prepared the small circles for the circle block above.
As always, the pattern is traced on the background fabric for placement purposes using a light box and number 2 pencil. I really thought I would have issues with the small (dime size) circles, but after working on two or three, it became easier, and besides, that is what ripping is all about when doing hand work. It is not permanent and corrections can easily be made.
I have given up on Dear Jane. I studied it, thought about the paper piecing, and decided that I have other things I want to work on the remainder of the year and making a quilt using paper piecing technique is not for me at this time! I have a lot of hand work waiting in the wings to be appliqued and those should go fairly quickly (maybe by September). I have Blocks 5 and 6 prepped for Bountiful Life, 7 more blocks for Segment 4 of Stonefields, and lots of lovely hexagons to sew together for Brinton Hall quilt.
For piecing projects I went through 5 different patterns and finally chose to make Dresden Heaven by Susan Marth. It has mini and tiny dresden plates and such a fun project. I finally found a pattern that I can use my 1930’s fabrics that were originally intended for the Farmers Wife… so I am happy about that, but it will take a few other projects to use all the fat quarters I purchased.
The 1930 fabrics are not my favorite colors, but I thought that they would look good using this pattern. This will be a fun project and one that I can cut out the plates and sew at my leisure, remember I am supposed to be quilting on the long arm… if only I would stay away from chicken noodle soup from the can that has MSG! I have so many notes on the refrigerator now that say “do not eat” and if only I would remember to read them!!!!!
Oh well. I hope that everyone has had a great day and continue to enjoy your stitching. Fall is just around the corner – 30 to 60 days! Sometime within the next 30 days or so I will be relaxing in the RV, visiting the Choctaw Casino, and 2 wonderful fabric stores. I need to complete some projects to justify the fabric expenditures!