Projects Going Well – Blog is Late!

Good morning to all.  I hope that your New Year is going well and that projects are coming along as you have planned. I was going to try to Blog each Friday – but oops, missed that goal!  It is good ole’ Cedar Season here in South Texas and I wish they Cedar trees would just go away, but not that lucky!  I am scheduled to be checked for Asthma on the 25th as the inhaler really has made me feel a lot better and more energy.  If that is what has taken some of my stamina away the last 2 years it will be a blessing to find out and correct the problem!

I am happy with my progress on E. Sitar’s Basket of Flowers.  I have completed 350- 2″ four patches (think about 50 too many but gives me more selection when making the baskets)!   They are easy and fun to make.  Sometimes mindless sewing is good for the brain to relax and no pressure.  The pattern directions state to cut the strips at 1 1/4″  x 21″ but I always add 1/8″ or 1/16″ to the width when cutting in order to have some extra fabric to square my blocks and the shorter strips keep the strip sets even and less waste.   Each 21′ strip makes 8 Four Patches.

Strip Sets for Basket 4 Patch

Strip Sets 1 3/8″ x 21″

Next step is to cut the strip sets in the same width (1 3/8″ or add a 1/16″).   I am keeping the four patches in individual bags (plastic snack bags) for 2 reasons – control clutter on my cutting table and allow me to work on other projects.   Since I tend to work with  “controlled” scrappy projects it also makes it easier to work with the selection of colors for each basket.  I “accidentally” purchased the bags and thought I would take them back, but then realized I could use them for small projects like this one.

Lots of 4 Patches

Bags of Four Patches

Snack Bags for 4 Patches

Snack Bags for 4 Patches

I wanted to see how my colors would look for the baskets – not sure how the “scrappy” will take shape, but here is a sample.  (without the pedistal).

Sample Basket

Basket Setting Sample

I finished the 2nd Christmas place mat.  Hopefully I will be able to finish the preparation work for the Table Runner.  It is a quick needleturn applique project.  Heck – should be able to have this one completed by Thanksgiving if I work faster (LOL).

I have one diamond block completed for E. Sitar’s Flower Garden and the remaining 5 cut out and ready to sew to the hexagon paper pieces.   There are a total of 6  diamonds for the quilt center of the quilt.  I am using Betty Cutchian’s Eliza’s Indigo.   I ordered a few fat quarters and then ordered the “bundle”  This has worked out great because I can use the same fabric but different colors for the hexagon stars.

Flower Garden Medallion B1

Flower Garden Hexagon Diamond

A note on the Farmer’s Wife 1930 Sampler.  Laurie Hird contacted me this week and advised that there are 4 more corrections coming from her publisher.  They are for the diagrams only.  I am glad that I brought the issue to her attention because she was unaware that a problem existed.  She is working on her third book and is appreciative that I advised her about the problem and is instituting safeguards that this will not happen to her again.  It must be so frustrating to send one’s work to a publisher only to have them make mistakes when publishing the book.  I admire Laurie for checking into the issue for me – I am beginning to feel now that I may just work on this project later in the year.

Today will be trimming the remaining Four patches and hopefully cutting out the pedestals.  I would also like to finish up preparing the Xmas table runner and bring out Segment 3 of Stonefields.  Have a great sewing day.  Enjoy Life.

2 thoughts on “Projects Going Well – Blog is Late!

  1. Edyta likes small blocks! I would rather make my blocks a little oversized too and then trim down. Just makes for better accuracy. I use little bags but I’ve never seen any like yours. Your EPP diamond block is lovely. Blessings, Gretchen

    Like

    • Yes she does and I am enjoying working on her quilts. I made the Sentimental Scraps quilt, purchased the same fabric for the border, etc. Life got in the way so I still need to put it together. I mixed some batiks with the reproductions, something that I still do not like to do, but Edyta does that a lot. So I may just go with what I did and finish it. I purchased the ‘snack’ bags at WalMart in Sierra Vista, Arizona. Glad I kept them. If I have a snack, it would not fit in that bag! LOL. Have a great day and thx for commenting.

      Like

Comments are closed.