Where or Where has my Di Ford Mystery Quilt Project Gone?

Welcome to South Texas where we only have tropical weather – YUP – back to the 90’s with high humidity – YEA –

Well, this should have set the mood for this Blog Posting.  Saturday I started to work on my Di Ford Mountmellick 2014 Mystery Quilt project.  This began 3 days of total frustration and here I am on Wednesday a little on the cynical side of life.

In 2004 I made my first pieced quilt called Cozy Christmas, a pattern from Fons and Porter Magazine.  It took me 1 month to complete it and I learned from that project that I knew nothing about quilting.  But when I finished that quilt it was perfectly square and all points were perfect.

It was a hard lesson to learn that when a pattern is provided free in a magazine that the magazine ‘assumes’ that the quilter knows everything there is to know about quilting.  After the 3rd call to Fons and Porter, I so advised!  Lesson learned on that one?  No more quilts made from a magazine UNLESS it was a utility quilt, quick and easy for a give away!

OK – 10 years later!  I was so excited about the Di Ford Mystery Quilt in the Quiltmania Magazine, I  worked very hard  trying to find the same fabric that she was using, but by the time I found out about the Di Ford, her 2014 quilt, Quiltmania, and Australian Quilters, I was out of luck for the first border fabric.  I told myself – ‘that’s OK’  we will just do another colorway.  Remember,  this is the year that I am into Reproductions – so am a babe in the woods on selections of fabrics.  I worked with a reproduction quilt shop and I chose to use the “Amelia” fabric line for this quilt.  It was top dollar price – and I did not mind at the time because I was so excited to start on this quilt.

I selected a background fabric and started on the Medallion.  Then in April Darryl got sick and all was put on hold.  The only applique  I had accomplished on this quilt included the stems, with the other pieces  ready to applique but I never seemed to get in the mood, or have the time for to work on it.  Since I have now caught up on other projects, I thought this would be the time to “get with it” and start my Di Ford Mystery quilt.

Well, it did not take long to realize that I was going to learn a very very very costly lesson………….Number 1.  The background I had chosen did not match the cream in the Amelia line.  I told myself, “well, not to worry Nanette – you have plenty of creams”!   NEXT….I then sat down and began studying the first border fabric that I was planning on using versus what Di Ford had picked out…………YIKES!    Must have been in LA LA Land when I first reviewed Part One!  Judie Rothermel’s 25th Anniversary border fabric is ONLY 3 INCHES and my beautiful Amelia border fabric is 4 1/2″……….WOW am I ever having some fun here!    It did not take a Rocket Scientist to realize that I had a SERIOUS problem here to correct (if at all possible).

I hit the panic button and started calling my quilting Buddies (like they really needed my problem)   I was determined somehow I would make it work. I put in calls to Jaydee and Jan – two of my long distance quilting buddies.  Jaydee was the lucky one (?) as she called me back first and calmed me down long enough to realize I needed to make a decision –  I could  move forward or put it away!  Being the Type A Scorpio idiot,  I decided I would forge ahead, use this as a challenge and make it work.  She spent time with me discussing medallion quilts with borders and how they work.   (Jaydee is a little smarter than me – she was going to wait until the entire quilt was published – REAL SMART LADY!)

By Tuesday morning I had decided to re-size the pattern and cut out a small piece of my Amelia border fabric.  Tuesday afternoon I spoke with Jan who had already ordered the kit in January and had all the suggested fabric line to make the entire quilt – especially that first border!   I told her I realized that this quilt had to have a 3″ border fabric and mine was NOT 3″, but 4 1/2″.  We discussed different ways to make it work, but when I tried one of the ways it BOMBED!  End of that story.

Jaydee, Jan and I have all agreed that in order to make this quilt come out like it should, the quilt had to have the exact border fabric or forget it!.

OK – so here I am on Wednesday at 2:22 – Nothing more to report – the fabric is back in the  drawer for another project and Di Ford’s 2014 Mystery Quilt is gone forever!

To top it off – I was looking at my Happy Scrappy Medallion with the 3 borders completed and getting ready to sew the hexie flowers on when I realized that the last border was sewn on wrong…………………..

I have a date with Mr Ripper ……. Fun Fun Fun

I think I may go get my knitting, sit in my rocking chair and wait for winter!  One thing I will not do the rest of the day is to Quilt!  Maybe there will be a good segment of Gunsmoke to watch!

Have a Blessed Day and hope you received a chuckle today!

 

3 thoughts on “Where or Where has my Di Ford Mystery Quilt Project Gone?

  1. I am glad I was able to help you with your decision to rest the project for a while. Sometimes a rest makes it all clear. I have a container with several of these girls….resting. I pulled out one of my girls out that was partically quilted and put it back in my floor frame and it is quilting like butter. I don’t know why she didn’t please me before but I’m enjoying the quilting now. Go to a new project or finish a resting one and life goes on.

    Like

  2. Oh dear what frustration; I guess it happens to all of us at some stage but that does not help; I just hope the Gunsmoke segment is a good ONE!!!!! LOL. Thanks for sharing it made me smile to read that it happens to most of us. Cheers Glenda

    Like

  3. Thank you Jaydee and Glenda for your comments. Glenda – Gunsmoke is always good – great escape from reality!
    Jaydee – you were correct – I will leave it for another day!

    Like

Comments are closed.