The Baltimore Album Society Donation Quilts – The Process

It is a nice day today here in Texas.  We are hoping for rain this weekend.  I have been working on the preparation work for the 2 Small Quilts for the Baltimore Album Society Internet Auction.  

I have traced all pieces for each block and now I am ready for fabric selection.  I have not decided whether or not to do them in batiks, reproductions, or other fabrics.  There are approximately 100 pieces in each block.  The Hervey Quilt block will be the easiest to applique, but the Lady of Victory Block will take a little more time.  My goal is to have the fabric selected, freezer paper pieces pressed and marked and ready for applique by Monday.  I will need to have them appliqued and quilted and ready to go no later than the 8th of August.

The preparation work is usually the most difficult.  Selecting the colors and fabric are fun, especially as I applique the pieces onto the background fabric.  It always amazes me when the project is complete!

Here is a picture of the background fabric I have selected.  One might barely see that I have traced the pattern onto the fabric.   I am using Michael Miller Krystals number 1008-D.

Below is the pattern for the Hervey Block.  A few pieces to work on.

Below is the pattern for the Lady of Victory Block.  A few more pieces to work on.  I have not worked on a Horn of Plenty block before, should be fun.

Next week I will start quilting Linda’s quilt for her Grandson.  Linda and I try to get together twice a month and quilt.  She did a great job on this quilt.  
My goal is to have it quilted by the 21st of March, probably sooner.  Linda was able to find some matching fabric for the back. 
.Have a great day.  

My Dutch Triangles – Quilted

I do not know how I did this today, but it is quilted.  Of course, in my quilting life nothing really goes easy.  The stitch regulator on my Handi-Quilter decided to act up, and when I got to the last row to quilt, I realized that the backing was even with the top and no extra wiggle room.  Now this is a nightmare for a long arm quilter.  The rule is to add 4″ to the quilt back on all sides so there is plenty of fabric to “float” the quilt top. I figured that it seemed to go well with this quilt – probably a payback for letting it sit for almost 14 months.   After I took it off the frame I realized that I had squeaked on this one.  It came out just right – do not know how this happened, but as I said before, my quilting life is not all that perfect.

The quilt measures 88″ x 100″ – WOW.  I did free motion meandering and I used a gold thread.  Well, I am now half blind and have eye strain and I think my back will be sore.  I had to almost lay on the quilt in order to see where I was going (LOL).  Anyway, I will never leave a quilt in the frame as long as I did this.  2013 was not the best year – do not think it was a good one for anyone – I am just glad to have finished the project.  Now for the binding.

I really love all aspects of the quilting, but somehow we quilters feel that we have “finished” a quilt when the top is complete, but lo…… there is one step left – making the sandwich and quilting it, then the joy of binding it!  I just love making tops, not sure about all the work that goes into either machine or hand quilted quilts, and the binding on a large quilt like this is just not fun to do.

Have a great evening.  Next project – finish the preparation work on my 2 Baltimore Album quilt blocks for the BAS Auction.   The quilt is so large it is difficult to get a good picture, but I am pleased with them.

Organized – At Last

I have finally become an organized Quilter!  Wonder how long this will last.
I have cleaned out tons of downloaded patterns from 2000 that will never be made, or used for that matter. The trash man loved me yesterday!  We were in the Spring mode this last week-end – now we are back to Winter, with a little rain.  So as we all do in Spring, it was time to clean things out.  Time to move new things in.

I have finally started quilting the Dutch Triangles, the poor quilt that had been loaded in the frame since January 2013!  I found the pattern on the back of a 2007 Quilter’s Newsletter magazine.  The original quilt maker is unknown.  I chose fabrics that I had purchased in Branson, Missouri in 2002.  They were probably some of the first reproduction fabrics.  When I decided to make the quilt, I had realized that pinks were really not my favorite colors, but since I had purchased the fabric line, I shut my eyes and made the most of selecting the fabrics.  This quilt was also my first attempt at making a scrappy quilt.  I made the blocks up but a friend come over and helped me with placement.  Here is a picture of the quilt that was in the magazine:

A picture of the quilt loaded and some quilting that I was able to do late Sunday afternoon.  Yesterday was not the day for quilting – it was an errand day.  So today I am headed off to quilt.  I hope I can finish it today. This will be a “utility” quilt so I am doing free motion meandering.  

Now this was not a “planned” picture, I just happened to catch the famous Oscar Picture Tweet – Interesting.

This is my Handi-Quilter (of 2005) and the now infamous table that did not stay on the market very long – Hubby had to re-engineer the table because of its’ instability.

Until next time, relax, have fun, and enjoy quilting.